Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Fall

A phone call this morning alerted me to two Waxwings in Robin Hood's Bay. A free diary and lunchtime gave me the opportunity to nip down the coast armed with vegetable somosas to stave off hunger. The railway line was buzzing with Blackbirds, Goldcrests, Bullfinch and then I flushed an owl, habitat and a brief glimpse indicated Long-eared but fortunately I got a second go at it and it proved to be Short-eared Owl. Further towards Ness Point was quieter but back near the village was all action with flocks of Fieldfares appearing, even more Blackbirds, Redwings and eventually two Ring Ouzels. Even more Goldcrests showed themselves and then I heard the familiar trilling, but could not locate these Waxwings by eye, tucked away in a garden I suspect. All too soon I had to leave but an exciting and refreshing November birding break midweek - I could have done with staying all afternoon though.

No comments: