Sunday, June 01, 2008

Crepuscular activity

Yesterday evening I did a tour around to various Atlas and BirdTrack sites to try to locate owls and other denizens of the night.


Initially I was successful with the Barn Owl spot giving up its riches immediately. However, my Short-eared Owl site was without Short-eared Owls and despite careful listening and trying a few suitable spots no Long-eareds could be located either. Tawny Owls were happily vocal in two locations but I ran out of energy for the Little Owl hunt.

Golden Plover, Lapwing, Redshank and Curlew were all easily located, the latter two species with chicks.

Crepuscular moorland

Woodcock were very active at one site with four sightings in a few minutes and two males disputing territory above me.

Prize of the night here are Nightjar and they did not disappoint with two males singing for extended periods, one of which gave dim but close views. There was at least one other present at the site.

Today has been a correspondence and paint the kitchen day. A quick trip to Sandsend produced a rather enshrouded Sandwich Tern.

Ellen dazzles the Sarnie Tern with her new wellies

Late news for the end of May was of a superb male Black-headed Bunting in a Robin Hood's Bay garden. I've been sent a rather good photo of this bird which I will post when the photographer gives me the yea.

No comments: